Foster Grandparent Program
The Foster Grandparent Program
2019-2020 School Year
Position Type: Mentoring/tutoring
The Verndale School District has openings for Foster Grandparent volunteers to serve for the 2019-2020 school year.
Community members age 55 years or older, whose health, as determined in a medical review, meets the demands of the position. Must have a sincere interest in children and be able to commit at least 15 hours per week during the school year.
Description of Duties:
- Listening, talking, walking, reading and tutoring.
- Modeling appropriate behaviors and skills.
- Assisting with self-help skills.
- Encouraging socialization.
- Participating in group activities.
- Playing games.
- Telling stories.
- Assisting with reading and other academic subjects.
- Teaching manners and social skills.
- Assisting with learning activities.
- Helping children to follow directions, stay focused, and accomplish work.
- Encouraging and praising children.
The Foster Grandparent Program, which is a part of Catholic Charities of Central Minnesota, offers many benefits to those who participate, including a tax free hourly stipend, transportation reimbursement, orientation, on-going training, health benefits and more.